Sunderland’s games again Peterborough United last season epitomised the problem with our Who are You? series. As happened all season, we were able to publish terrific interviews – but with the same opposing fan each time. For his efforts, James Bloodworth went close to winning a prize in our annual HAWAY (Highly Articulate Who are You?) awards.
But it is embarrassing to have go cap in hand to the same candidates. And finding new ones is a time-consuming and often frustrating exercise. Salut! Sunderland’s limited resources are constantly stretched and no one, in honesty, has time to pursue opposing supporters, cajole them and then set up and publish the interviews.
So as with all other games so far this season, we present a shortened version of the customary questions to Peterborough fans in open letter format*. Please use the Comments field to answer any or all the questions posed.
Salut! Sunderland: 1) after a disappointing end to last season despite all the early promise, are Posh good enough to go up this time?
2) is Darren Ferguson the right man for the job and how far can he – and the owners – take you?
3) who in your squad will give us trouble on Saturday?
4) who, if anyone, do you fear in ours?
5) your best and worst moments as a Posh supporter?
6) two draws in our games last season. Were you surprised that Sunderland, too, fell away and then lost in the playoff final?
7) what other thoughts do you have on Sunderland: the club, the fans, the city and region?
8) hand on heart, where will our two clubs finish this season?
9) will you be at the game and what will be the score?
* On the evidence so far, this format is not a success. The responses have been plentiful for only one game, Ipswich Town away, and zero for all. but one of the others. It may soon be time to give Who are You?, good as the series has so often been, a decent burial.