Just when you thought being bottom of the Championship made you safe from such things, along comes a website that actually calls itself DirtyPlayers.co.uk and calls into question our fond collective belief that in Lee Cattermole, Sunderland have the most cultured, gentlest and fairest of players without thought of tripping, crunching, nudging or pulling back opponents.
But here it is, a survey on – their words – The Dirtiest Players EVER in the Premier League! (yep, capital initials and exclamation mark).
Let them tell the story – and then let Lee issue a writ for libel:
‘Hi, we have compiled the all-time card and sending off stats for EVERY player who has played in the Premier League.
www.DirtyPlayers.co.uk analyses and presents the full data for red and yellow cards for every player in each season of the Premier League since it began in 1992.
Using a ‘dirty points’ system of 25pts for a red card and 5pts for a yellow card, you’ll see some familiar names in the top 10 dirtiest players of all time’
Some headline facts are listed below:
* Gareth Barry has accumulated the most ‘Dirty Points’ in the history of the Premier League.
* Lee Cattermole is the dirtiest player based on number of appearances.
* Vinnie Jones was the dirtiest footballer for two consecutive seasons in ’94/’95 & ’95/’96
* Lee Cattermole and Joey Barton are the only two players to average more than 2 “dirty points ” per appearance throughout their Premier League careers
Premier League Dirtiest Players
* Top 10 dirtiest Premier League players
** Top 10 dirtiest Premier League players
(based on number of appearances)
And now over the the Salut! Sunderland jury …